Monday, May 16, 2016

Delaware Fire Departments | the Georgetown Volunteer Fire Company

On the second Saturday of May, I was headed north for a much-anticipated date with Delaware history. I'd been looking forward to enjoying the the buildings which were open for the Georgetown "Stamp Tour" when my plans derailed (see the post here). Later that day I was standing in the Circle photographing the regal Courthouse building when I happened to glance down one of the side streets - and there it was - a gem of a fire engine, sitting all alone in front of the station, obviously just waiting for me to come over and visit. I scurried over and was please to note that the front doors of the station were closed and that no one else was busy checking out this vintage vehicle. For me, that's a good thing since I hate to take pictures with others around. Not always possible of course, but if there's a chance to take the kind of views I prefer, then being alone is a bonus. Here are a few views of the exterior of the building.





 







The truck didn't offer up it's age but the stunning logo and bulldog figure poised atop the hood proudly proclaimed it was a Mack. Planning to just go online and find out the details later I got busy with documenting this engine from all sides. What a treat to find such a vehicle at any time, but following the kind of day I'd had made it even sweeter. The gorgeous backdrop of blue-grey sky and clouds set off the photos perfectly and when I was finished I took some shots of the fire department itself too. Funny thing is, I'd been there about a month ago and taken some then but hadn't got around to posting them - and of course there had been no eye candy parked outside as there was today. Truck history via the GVFC website: "Engine 77-5 is a 1954 - Mack L-85. Enclosed 5-Person Cab. 750 GPM Waterous Pump. 750 Gallon Water Tank. Multiple attack and supply lines. Assortment of antique engine company tools/equipment."

















  • I was interested to notice the date this department was established (April 11th, 1903) making it one of the oldest ones that I've been able to photograph
  • Album on the Altered Art Facebook page
  • Fire and Rescue vehicles of Delaware on Flickr
  • Georgetown Fire Department website
  • Visit their Facebook page here





"A different view of color, contrast and perspective"
       

No comments:

Post a Comment