Monday, April 3, 2017

Images by Altered Art | Outstanding Dreams Alpaca Farm in Preston, Maryland

On a beautiful afternoon in November, as the Delmarva Peninsula was fading into soft shades of golden leaves and orange colors, I had the chance to visit and tour a nearby farm. I wasn't sure what to expect, how interactive the alpacas might be (or might not be?), and I didn't know how the entire concept of raising animals would seem to me. Did the owners care about them, where did concern for the well-being and happiness of these creatures rank and would I feel comfortable seeing how they lived and existed? After all, while we can and do label many things in life as "it's a business", what did that really translate into for the alpacas themselves? I headed north-west from Fenwick Island, up through Delaware via Route 404 and crossed into Maryland. The drive is a peaceful one, winding through farms and open country fields, and once I left 404 it was another five miles down a quiet two-lane road. I pulled up at the foot of the driveway and paused to take a few pictures of the scenic autumn landscape.




The magnificent tree you see pictured below caught my eye right away with it's mature shape and size, wearing seasonally appropriate leaves caught in a mid-autumn color change. There is a calm and relaxing feel to the farm which sweeps over you, and as I got out to look around I began to see from all directions, the small faces of curious animals peering over the fence at me.



The owners of the farm are Phil and Vickie Liske, a pleasant couple who fell in love with the world of alpacas back in 2007 and proceeded to purchase land to begin raising them. Phil has been in the hay business for a number of years and continues to run that operation as well as managing the farm and animals. As we strolled around the neat property, he pointed out different areas and pastures, some with small buildings or run-in sheds, and explained how the farm has progressed through the years. The newest addition is a medium-sized barn which has been a great asset as the herd has grown, starting from just a few animals into the approximately thirty alpacas which reside there today.






We then walked out into one of the fields and a few of the younger alpacas began to slowly make their way up to us. It's interesting to watch the babies, called "crias", curiously observe and then approach newcomers, as I listened to the information Phil offered about the animals. He's very knowledgeable about alpacas and enjoys talking about them.






By the second or third time this one named "Frankie" had passed by me carrying a leaf in his mouth, I was pretty enamored. As I found out during another visit, the leaf wasn't merely a one-time thing; Frankie seems to have an interest in wandering around with some type of foliage dangling from his lips. It's pretty adorable.




This guy with the unusual markings on his face is "Miracle". Following a difficult birth, during which his mom had to be rushed to a vet, when the tiny hooves, unsteady legs and spotted head peered out into the world and then made their grand entrance, a moment of silence fell over the room. When he breathed and moved and as six people exclaimed simultaneously "it's a miracle!", the name appeared to be a perfect fit for this young man. Who, I might add, caught my eye and has since turned out to be a favorite in many of my photographs.





Yep. I'll admit that I fell for the gentleman with the distinctive colors and adorable look, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the other beautiful alpacas too. Miracle is just.....sort of special, in a curious and admiring sort of way. The picture below made it way into a glossy publication, filled with professional photographs of manicured farms and well-groomed animals in show rings - and then, on the very last page, appears his cute little face.(I was excited to learn one of my favorite photos being featured, but then again, who could turn this cutie down?)



There are a few other residents on the farm of the non-alpaca varieties. Two horses, a pair of dogs, and these two cats which are tons of fun - full of interest in guests and even willing to pose for photos. They are cats with attitude and confidence; felines that stroll right out into the fields with the alpacas, and then seem to wonder why they are the center of attention. If you visit I'm sure you will be greeted and acknowledged by at least one of these country ambassadors.






The afternoon light was fading and I scurried inside the gift shop to look around. A wide variety of alpaca products are available for shoppers of all kinds, from baby gifts to shawls, accessories to socks (in every size and color imaginable!) and even sweaters and coats. Yarn spun from the fleece of the farm's alpacas is sold in many different colors, along with DIY kits and projects. Here I finally got to meet Vickie, who juggles her career as a hairdresser in one section of the building while welcoming visitors and running the store. It was a pleasure to meet both of the owners who share a love of this farm, the alpacas, and the many aspects of their growing business. It's clear they are devoted to the care and well-being of the animals, and from a standpoint of knowledge and education I felt their tours reflect the standards of quality by which they operate. The friendly atmosphere of the farm, coupled with a unique shopping experience, makes this an enjoyable destination for an afternoon or day trip which I can certainly recommend. As Phil and Vickie had warned me in regards to their alpacas; "you may fall in love with them just as we have". I did.....and I think you might too.




Sites & Links:








       


No comments:

Post a Comment